Nursing Home

Missouri Personal Injury Lawyers Pursuing Justice on Behalf of Nursing Home Abuse Victims

We hold nursing homes accountable for abusive and negligent actions

Trusting an elderly loved one to the care of a nursing home can be an emotional process. If your trust in a nursing home is broken, and your loved one suffers because of it, your emotions may be difficult to handle. If your loved one has become the victim of nursing home or elder abuse, it is important to hold the offender or offenders responsible for their actions. At the Law Office of Kenneth P. Carp, we offer the strong legal representation St. Louis County families need to pursue compensation for losses caused by nursing home abuse.

Nursing home abuse can lead to a wide range of injuries, including:

· Broken bones

· Cuts and bruises

· Bedsores

· Infections

· Head injuries

· Brain injuries

What is elder abuse?

The term elder abuse is defined as the intentional, knowing or negligent actions of a caregiver that causes harm to a vulnerable adult. There are many types of elder abuse, including:

Physical abuse – Slapping, pushing, pinching, hitting and any act that intentionally inflicts pain upon the victim are all considered physical abuse.

Sexual abuse – Nonconsensual contact of any kind is considered elder abuse.

Emotional abuse – Name calling, screaming and any action that intentionally inflicts emotional pain is considered elder abuse.

Neglect – Failure to provide the standard of care to patients can be considered elder abuse if the neglect results in injuries or pain.

Financial exploitation – Pressuring a patient to give money, purchase gifts or alter a will to favor the offender is considered elder abuse.

What are the signs of nursing home abuse?

Spotting nursing home abuse or neglect can be difficult, but there are tell-tale signs that may suggest the mistreatment of your loved one, including:

· Unexplained broken bones, cuts and bruises

· Fear or tension toward a specific caregiver

· Depression or withdrawal

· Frequent crying

· Changes in appetite or attitude

· Unusual weight loss

· Unexplained financial transactions or withdrawals

· Suspicious changes in your loved one’s will

How do I report elder abuse?

The process of reporting elder abuse and successfully pursuing compensation for resulting damages can be complicated. To file a claim, you should:

Document the abuse – If you suspect that your loved one is being abused, document the abuse carefully. Photograph suspicious bruises, make note of emotional changes and keep a running list of any suspicions you may have. If you fear that your loved one is in immediate physical danger, contact the police immediately.

Contact an attorney – Retaining an attorney to help you handle your case is an important step. Working with you, your lawyer will remove your loved one from the dangerous situation and help to locate a safe residence. Your lawyer will also gather any evidence and medical records pertinent to the case.

File a claim – On your behalf, your attorney will file the necessary paperwork to begin the legal process of recovering compensation.

Pursue compensation – Wither through settlement negotiation or court room litigation, your lawyer will assertively pursue the maximum compensation available for all of your damages. Compensable losses include medical costs, pain and suffering and more.

Is there a statute of limitations for pursuing a nursing home abuse claim?

Missouri law places a statute of limitations of five years from the date of initial discovery for filing a nursing home or elder abuse claim. While you have five years to file your claim, beginning the claims process immediately improves your family’s chances of recovering compensation for damages resulting from the abuse.

Our St. Louis County attorneys help you pursue compensation for nursing home abuse

If your loved one has fallen victim to nursing home abuse, it is important to hold the offenders responsible for their cowardly actions. At the Law Office of Kenneth P. Carp, we provide aggressive nursing home abuse representation to families in St. Louis County, including Hazelwood, St. Ann, Berkley, Maryland Heights, Florissant, South County, South City, North County, Clayton, Chesterfield, Laude, Creve Coeur; Lincoln County, including Troy, and Moscow Mills and St. Charles County, including St. Charles, St. Peters, O’Fallon, Wentzville, Cottleville and Foristell. Call our office at (636) 947-3600 or contact us online to schedule a free, no-obligation review of your case. Your case is handled on a contingency fee basis, which means you don’t pay unless we win.